Texas: 5 Types of Child Support

In a Suit Affecting the Parent-Child Relationship (SAPCR) or a divorce with children, there are 5 different types of child support a court can award.

1. Current Child Support

Current child support is an amount an obligor (the party the court orders to pay child support) is required to pay in the future, following the end of the case. The amount of current child support is calculated using the obligor’s monthly net resources. Net resources is determined by adding all of the obligor’s sources of income and deducting certain items like taxes, union dues, and the cost of health insurance for the child or children.

2. Medical Child Support

The court can order either party to pay for medical child support. The amount can be a lump sum, periodic payments, or an order to obtain medical insurance. The amount cannot exceed 9% of the obligor’s annual resources. Usually, any medical related expenses not covered by the cash-medical support or by health insurance is split 50/50 between the parties.

3. Dental Insurance

Dental insurance coverage is required in Texas. This expands the requirement for medical child support. If the party required to obtain dental insurance cannot obtain coverage at a reasonable cost, then they will be required to pay for all dental expenses for the child or children. Reasonable cost means the amount cannot exceed 1.5% of the annual resources.

4. Retroactive Child Support

Retroactive child support covers any and all expenses for the care of a child or children in the past. Courts will go as far as calculating the expenses for the four years before the petition was filed.

5. Temporary Child Support

Temporary child support is support for the child or children while the case is pending. It usually ends when the case is finalized.

DISCLAIMER: The following information found on www.legalattraction.com is provided for general informational purposes only. It may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information contained on this website should be construed as legal advice or the creation of an attorney-client relationship. This information is not intended to be a substitute for legal representation by an attorney.

10320 Telephone Rd. Ste A
Houston, TX 77075